Sunday, April 21, 2013

Boston

Sadly, we've come across another occasion where it would seem inappropriate to talk about food and booze without addressing another national tragedy.
 
On April 15, 2013, two young cowards executed an act of terror during the Boston Marathon, resulting in the deaths of 3 people and severely injuring over 180.  This act not only rocked the city, but rocked a nation.  While we all may joke about those Red Sox and Patriot fans up north, Boston is still our back yard and a city that plays a significant and beautiful role in American history.  We are deeply saddened by the loss of life and the injuries sustained by those victims.
 
In the face of tragedy, there are always shining moments.  For us, specifically, the first responders which not only included professionals, but fellow runners, those standing on the sidelines, and those who offered their homes and their hearts for those affected.  I wrote on Facebook that day "I'm deeply horrified by what happened... But find slight comfort from the actions of not just first responders but people who simply were nearby and put themselves on the line to help others."  I wanted to share a response that a friend had, that I think sums up perfectly what most of us feel:  "Ordinary people become immediate 1st responders when something like this happens... I hope I will never have to do what they did, but if I do, I hope I can do it as well as they did."
 
So on April 19, the city of Boston pretty much came to a standstill in what was the largest manhunt in US history.  And in the end... we got the motherf%#&kers.

No comments:

Post a Comment