Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April 28, 2013 - More Steak!

Good morning, everyone!  I'm sorry for the late post, but it's been a long few days and I just finally have a few minutes to share our lovely meal with you all.  We do a lot of steak, I know.  And I'm running out of quirky fun titles for the menu, but who cares?  I mean, come on, it's steak!  So Stew's had some lovely NY Strips on sale this week and we took advantage!


Cocktail - Spiked Black Cherry Lemonade


I'm in love.  Jennifer hit a home run on this one, and it is so simple!  Pureed black cherries, bourbon, lemonade, and a splash of Polar Seltzer Black Cherry.  Sooooo smooth, so tart but sweet - the ideal summer cocktail!


Appetizer - Warm Goat Cheese Salad with Pancetta, Dried Cherries, and Port Dressing



Smooth goat cheese, crisp lettuce, tangy cherries, crunchy bacon, and a port wine dressing?  How could you possibly go wrong with this recipe?  Well, let me tell you - you simply can't!


Entree - Cocoa Rubbed Steak with Whiskey-Bacon Sauce



Your taste buds will SING.  This was incredible.  The rub gave a nice flavor to the steak (which we grilled, by the way) and the sauce is soooo decadent.  The recipe calls for chicken broth, which I initially laughed at... I mean who would put chicken broth in a sauce meant for steak?  Well, joke is on me.  Because after thinking I knew better than Guy Fieri, I realized that I only had chicken broth in the house and not beef.  So, we followed the instructions, and it was simply fabulous.  We had it over some simple mashed potatoes with a side of garlic bread that John and Jenn brought back from their dinner the previous night at "Salut" in Hartford.  Decadent, delicious, I just gained five pounds in one meal.


Entree Wine - 2008 Portugal Callabriga Dao


Smoky and with great scents of licorice, tar, and tobacco, we were unsure of this one.  It's been sitting in the stockpile for a while, so we figured what the hell.  It was great!  It didn't need any sweet berries or anything, because it was pairing with the smoky goodness of the rub and the bacon-laced sauce.  Lovely wine!


Dessert - Salty Caramel Panna Cotta


Okay... this is what the dessert is SUPPOSED to look like.


This is what ours looked liked:


Epic fail on my end.  (Except for Jennifer's lovely garnishments.)  I don't know what I did wrong.  The caramel sauce was very dark and it immediately turned the custardy part of the panna cotta into a mocha looking thing.  And I don't think I let the ganache cool long enough because as soon as I poured in the panna cotta, it mixed together.  Taste - just ok.  Tasted like coffee, in my opinion.  However, Jennifer's sister likes to cook at her house on Sundays and follows our recipes, and hers is the picture above.  She said it was the best dessert ever.  Therefore, I'm going to say try this recipe, just if it turns out looking like the one in my picture - I'm sorry.


So there you go!  Another lovely steakhouse meal.  Next week, we celebrate Cinco de Mayo again, but we're going to change it up.  We could make it easy and do fish tacos again or something like that... but nope!  We're going to go a little outside the box, but keep all the fabulous flavors of the Cinco de Mayo intact.  Stay tuned!

Next Week - Cinco de Mayo 2.0 

No comments:

Post a Comment