Monday, September 10, 2012

September 9, 2012 - Duck Breast

Happy Monday, everyone!  I'll be honest, with fall approaching and the morning air getting colder - it was not fun getting out of bed this morning, hence this post coming out a little late.  So I was without my cohorts last night, although I did have a friend join, so had an extra hand in the kitchen.  I think I did ok without them, but you can all be the judges of that.
 
 
Cocktail - Sidecar Martini
 
 
 
Okay, first off, I do not start drinking at 4:00pm as seen in this photo.  (Not normally... ok, not hard liquor at that hour.)  This was just a test batch in case I forgot to take pictures later.  (Of course, I didn't pour it down the sink or anything after the picture... don't judge me.)  We've done sidecars before, and I stuck with it again because the meal included brandy, so I wanted to keep a theme going.  I did prefer the other sidecar recipe we've done, because it included limoncello to soften the liquor.  This sidecar as directed was incredibly strong.  I did adjust by adding the brandied cherries (see recipe below) and then topping it with orange seltzer.  And we did end up just pouring it over ice in rocks glasses.  Still, a great cocktail, though, and always nice to take a little break from vodka.
 
 
Entree - Duck Breast with a Brandied Cherry Reduction
 
 
 
Ok, first and foremost, I overcooked the duck breast and there were medium, not medium-rare.  Pay attention to your cook time, folks... I should have adjusted for smaller breasts.  That being said - a delicious  meal and its the reduction that makes it fantastic.
 
Make the brandied cherries!  I followed this recipe (http://imbibemagazine.com/Lu-s-Brandied-Cherries) and did use dried fruit.  I then followed the recipe exactly as stated and it turned out perfectly.  (And many thank you's to D who graciously offered to flambe for me, and almost got set on fire.  Tip for you all - invest in one of those long torch-like lighters... a BIC lighter is rather dangerous.)  The sweet tartness of the cherries combined with the richness of the brandy and savory of the stock - divine.  (FYI, I used 8oz duck/veal demi-glace and then the rest in chicken stock.)  This can be made in advance and just reheated slightly.
 
 
Side Dish - Duck Fat Roasted Fingerling Potatoes
 
 
 
Yes, this recipe is almost exactly the same as the one above with the exception of balsamic reduction vs. brandy reduction.  However, I did like the idea of duck fat frying the potatoes instead of mashed.  (After all, you have all the duck fat from searing the breast... may as well use it up!)  These were delicious... simple, easy, crispy. 
 
 
Side Dish - String Beans with Shallots
 
 
 
You can't really screw this one up.  Especially if you're like me and take the lazy route by buying a bag of pre-washed haricots verts that just need to be steamed in the microwave.  Then add to sauteed shallots.  Voila.  Simple side dish that doesn't compete on the palate against the decadent cherry sauce.
 
 
Entree Wine - 2009 Tenute Cisa Asinari Dei Marchesi Di Gresy Barbera D'Asti
 
Wine Rating - Not Found
 
 
This Italian red was a delight to drink!  Ruby red with violet hues and a rich aroma of red berries and cherries, this robust wine finished richly and with a slight acidity and even tannins.  Truly a delicious wine that went extremely well with the entire meal.  With that being said, this was a Christelle pick from Harry's Wine Shop, and unfortunately, it was her last pick for us.  She has accepted a new position in her career, and while we are absolutely thrilled for her, it's sad to know that we won't see her smiling face every Saturday afternoon.  This also means all the pressure is on Greg going forward.  Regardless, I know she reads this, so Christelle - congratulations, thank you, and good luck!
 
 
Dessert - Flourless Chocolate Cake
 
 
 
Eh... I've made flourless chocolate cakes before, and this one wasn't as good as others.  It could be perhaps because I made them into cupcakes for my own convenience.  (Easier to bring to work that way.)  FYI - for cupcakes, I baked at 350 for 20 minutes... I highly recommend 15-18 minutes, I think that was what did it for me - they seemed overcooked.  (Just like the duck... ugh... I can't win.)  However, it's chocolate, and when covered with brandied cherries, it was just delicious.
 
 
Dessert Wine - Alcyone
 
 
Yes, this is the first time we are repeating a wine.  It's just that good.  This red dessert wine from Uruguay is wonderful.  It's sweet and rich and fortified with brandy and therefore was the perfect accompaniment to our dessert.
 
 
Okay, so overall, a success.  (If you don't include the fact that my guest almost got lit on fire and the food came out slightly overcooked for my tastes.)  And I apologize for the lack of appetizer, so I'll make sure to do something special next week to make up for it.  John and Jenn are back next week, so we'll be back to organized chaos instead of my juggling 5 different pans in a kitchen the size of a matchbook.  Thanks for being patient with me!
 
 
Next Week - Changed My Mind... Rack of Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment